Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Break

Holy moly...time sure does fly when you're having fun!  I can't believe that we are half-way through our spring break.

I must say that I have been decisively lazy this spring break...spending days surrounded by books and the comfort of few obligations to weigh upon me.



I do miss my kiddos though. We ended our last days together in parent/teacher conferences. I could not have asked for an easier week of conferences with this precious group of kids. This is truly a sweet little class; again time sure does fly, and sadly the year will be over before we all know it.

I have to say that one of my favorite things to hear during conferences is something that I can never hear enough..."This year my child has fallen in love with reading!" I could not think of a better gift to give these kiddos than a true love of reading!

Even more fun was sharing my own love of reading with some of my parents! More than a few have begun reading one of my all time favorite series.


Not only do I get to ohh and ahh over books with my kiddos, but now I get to do it with my parents, too! So fun! We pretty much have our own little book club, growing by the day! LOVE IT!


I just have to share our latest read aloud. We were so sad to finish Dark Life by Kat Falls, and I could not think of a book that would be strong enough to take its place.


The One and Only Ivan, the 2013 Newberry Winner, has boldly stepped up to try. You must know by now that I have a weakness for an author's note, and Katherine Applegate did not fail in capturing my heart with hers. You must check out her amazing website where she shares the special and one and only Ivan with us all. 


The TRUE...One and Only Ivan

There is something so tragically beautiful in Applegate's story of Ivan. So often as I read it, I have to stop and reread a small passage or line just so that the kiddos and I can marinate in the magic of her words.  I cannot wait to see how it all unfolds! I will be sure to keep you posted, but if you Google "The One and Only Ivan" or "National Geographic Urban Gorilla" you may just join us on this journey!

As I sit at home this spring break, I cannot even think about the last picture book I have shared with my kiddos....I've slept since then...or I'm getting to old to remember....or a bit of both!

After I stop by the school for some major planning, I will be sure to update you with a plethora of wonderfully imaginative titles...so until then, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment