Sunday, December 7, 2014

Currently a class without desks


Goodness...it has been so long since I hooked up with Farley for her monthly Currently, but I am super excited to join the party...even if I am a little late. Be sure to remember her rule of 3... and stop by and check out all the amazing bloggers that have also hooked up! 
Listening:  I am currently obsessed with Pentatonix! So beautiful.



Loving: I cannot tell you enough how blessed that I am to have a principal that lets me take chances and try new things with my kiddos. After talking with a friend and coworker about an observation she had of a classroom without desks, I couldn't get the idea out of my head, and after speaking with my principal, I decided to give it a try.

My initial thought was to pull the tables out during Christmas break, but talking to the kiddos about it proved that waiting would not be an option...talk about excited.  Check out what our room normally looks like here



My goal is to add additional seating options as the year progresses, but right now the kiddos are loving the bean bags, pillows, and futon. I did leave two tables for those students that just need that structure. 

Here are some pics of the kiddos working this week...best ever reading and writing workshops!

  


 




  




The kiddos could not have been happier with our arrangements this week. By Friday, we were rocking and rolling.... with most of the kinks worked out. This is still a work in progress, so I will give lots more detail soon.

Thinking: I will super-duper miss my student teacher very soon...this is her last week with us. Well, last three days with us. Goodness... she leaves us on Wednesday; her time went so fast! Super sad....we have all loved her! This is her reading aloud by the YouTube crackling fire on a very rainy, dreary day.
Wanting: Now anyone that knows me, knows how much I love spending time at school with my kiddos. Actually...my classroom with or without kiddos is truly one of my favorite places to be, but I am looking forward to some relaxing down time with my hubby. He works so hard, and I rarely get to see him. That being said... I CAN'T wait to have a few lazy days at home. :)

Needing: Needing to finish up a few last minute gifts, but I am almost done. If you have followed me for long, then you know that Christmas is not my holiday...I am more of a Thanksgiving girl. With four kiddos, Christmas tends to be a bit on the stressful side for me, and this year in particular is more than a bit stressful... personality flaw I am sure....but for real...my hubby calls me The Grinch.

Seriously! This is the screen saver on my phone.. so there you have it, people...I AM THE GRINCH. Actually, he may be cuter than my stressed out self. hahahahaha.

Ok...all kidding (or not so kidding) aside. I actually have my Christmas tree up. I mean it is pretty early in December and that baby is UP! That is a Christmas miracle all by itself. 
Giving: Honestly, I don't have much to give this year...other than my love and appreciation. Stressed or not, I am truly blessed by some amazing kiddos, their families, my friends, and of course my family! I love them all, and they make me smile. I have lots of hugs to share, and I can't wait to start.

Happy Reading, friends!


Follow on Bloglovin 

6 comments:

  1. I love that you took the plunge and went deskless! The only problem in my school is that we don't have a lunchroom, and I don't want my kiddos to eat on the floor! Looks fantastic though, and it's great that your students were so excited!

    Take care,

    Dawn
    Apples, Owls, and Peppermint Mochas

    ReplyDelete
  2. No desks?! I love the way your kids all sprawled out and got to reading. Aww man...now I want a peppermint mocha. ;)

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the no desk idea - I'm just too scared to try it! I can't wait to read more about it in your room. Love the Christmas tree - so pretty!! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an interesting idea. I think I would love a classroom without desks. I can't wait to see how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Stop by my post to accept your award: http://iamcampingteacher.blogspot.com/2015/02/leibster-award.html
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete