Sunday, February 24, 2013

She's Bookish

Well, it's that time of year again...Book Fair. Most of you know that I have a love/hate relationship with the book fair. I love walking into a room full new books...the beautiful covers, that intoxicating new book smell, with so, so many to choose from, but I hate how that takes away from our classroom order. ...Points! points! I need points....

OK...not really...I am exaggerating, just a bit. But here's the rub: no matter what little part of me hates the book fair, the love of it pulls me more and oh my goodness I snagged up some great deals Friday. I couldn't help myself! I wish I had taken a pic of all of the great additions to our ever-growing library. Whoo-hoo...I found some awesome graphic novels that any number of my kiddos called dibs on.(Often and loud, LOL)  To keep from having a mad rush to the library ~ you know, the kind that leaves kiddos screaming, "I had it first!" or "I was going to read that!" with possibly a few injuries involved ~ I have taken to hiding them in baskets a couple at a time. 

I just have to mention that when I pulled out the stack of books to share with the kiddos and to do some book talks, well a few kids went on and on about how many books I had already bought for the classroom even before the book fair officially opened. One of my sweet kiddos said, "Of course she buys a lot: she's bookish!" If that doesn't bring a smile to your face, nothing will.




I also found a couple of cute picture books, and I have to share one with you tonight. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to get it. It really made me think of that lesson we do at the beginning of the year when we set up our Reading Workshop: How readers choose books.

The cover of this sweet book, Ladybug Girl at the Beach, immediately reminded me of my sweet Freddy boy, and I was drawn to it. There was no question as to whether or not I would be walking out the library with this book in my hand. I would read this book just to see the adventures of Ladybug girl and her faithful companion, Bingo. Bingo is the spitting image of my own precious Basset Hound that we just recently lost, so of course this book pulled at my heart strings. I couldn't wait to share it with the kiddos, and they were so sweet asking questions about Fred. Kids are always so full of the most compassion!

Common themes in literature: Courage

My own sweet Fred with Joshua!

This week is our Literacy week, so we have a ton of great activities planned. More than most kids will probably be able to handle (OK ~ in all honesty, probably more than most teachers will be able to handle), but we will make the most of it all and have a blast learning!

Monday: Paw Pride T-shirt and Crazy Sock Day
Tuesday: Hats off to Dr. Seuss
Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday
Thursday: Wear you favorite college T-shirt
Friday: Story book character day 

Whoop - whoop...who's ready for some fun! I will try to get pics up as soon as I can.

In the mean time, happy reading guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment